[time-nuts] position determination over short distance

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Fri Dec 5 11:32:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:26:52 -0800, "Lux, James P" <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:

>There's a fair amount of F/OSS software from JPL available to do this sort of calibration. It's used to calibrate cameras used on Mars rovers, among other things. The target pattern for calibration is a bunch of big circular dots on a background.

URLs?

I recently found this freeware open source on the net.

http://tim-jackson.co.uk/area/index.html

Caution: I've encountered this guy on Usenet where he has a bad tendency to
substitute abject BS in place of fact when it's too much trouble to dig up the
facts.  I'd inspect the sources closely before using, looking for shortcuts
that don't work and pure old logic errors.

It would do the job in this instance but I'm interested in a more generalized
solution (without having to write it myself or buy anything) to pulling
measurements from photos.

I'd like to be able to take a photograph in which an object of known
dimensions is included and pull other dimensions from the photo, including
areas.

Any suggestions?

John
--