[time-nuts] Close-in phase noise question...

wa1zms at att.net wa1zms at att.net
Mon Dec 15 19:58:23 UTC 2008

John-

I do agree with you. The pain is in the early stages of the
LO chain.  Since I'm planning to use QRSS CW (that's very
slow speed Morse Code with very narrow demod bandwidths for
non-hams on this reflector who may not be familiar with QRSS),
the noise very close to the carrier become key.

A noisy carrier can't be detected very well on a waterfall
display if it too, looks like noise.

I have a several MSA-1105 MMICs in the chain to provide
isolation and give gain while multiplying the 5MHz signal
to 10MHz and then to 20MHz. The 20MHz acts as a reference
for a 1320MHz PLL. The 1320MHz then is multiplied several
more times on it's way to a sun-harmonic mixer for 630GHz.

I am wondering if the MSA-1105s could be causing more
close-in noise than I expected. The CW note sounds a
bit "rough" by ear.

The final 600GHz mixer that I'm using comes from some of
the mm-wave boys that work with NRAO.

But my LO noise requirements are a bit different than their
needs.

 -------------- Original message from "John Miles" <jmiles at pop.net>: --------------