[time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 15 21:56:26 UTC 2008

Joe

Joseph M Gwinn wrote:
> [...]
>> Injection locking can then occur all too easily (just ask Ulrich about
>> this) when the mixer RF ports are driven by 2 separate OCXOs.
>>
>> Detailed in line post follows:
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> Joseph M Gwinn wrote:
>>
>>> Bruce,

> necessary

> mentions

> noise

>>> OK.  Complicated beasts, those mixers.  Do you know of a paper (or
>>>
> book)
>
>>> on the subject?
>>>

>> Not offhand, but this crops up in lots of places usually when one least
>> expects it..
>>

> I've noticed.  Someone has to have poured his soul into a monograph.

>>> Yes.  In the plots you posted in a different email, there was a big
>>>
> rise
>
>>> below 1 KHz (scan stopped at 1 KHz, so don't know the shape).  Why is
>>> this?
>>>

>> I'll expand the frequency scale and take another snapshot for the region
>> below 1kHz.
>> This rise may be due to ADC and/or input differential amplifier flicker
>> noise.
>>

> Saw it.  Thanks.  Does look like flicker noise.  Although it wasn't large
> enough to be a real problem it seems.

>>> Fitting to the approximate waveshape, sine or trapezoidal,
>>> should yield a very robust estimate, due to the large data support,
>>>
> and zero-crossing
>
>>> slope won't much matter.  Hmm.  Actually, if the slopes of the
>>>
> trapezoid
>
>>> are too steep, we may not have all that many slope samples.
>>>

>> If one believes the NIST papers the trapezoid zero crossing slope only
>> increases by a factor of 3.
>> If one uses a cascaded filter limiter the slope gain can be adjusted for
>> optimum results.
>>

> The implication would be to not sharpen things up too well in before
> digitizing.
>

>>> [snip]

> LO

> various

> and

>>> Another tradeoff.  I'll have to think about it.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of 6 db and 10 db attenuators on the LO and RF ports
>>> respectively, but no isolation amplifier.
>>>
>> You may get away with that if you use mixers with very high RF to LO
>> port isolation.
>> Minicircuits have at least 3 level 17 mixer models that typically have
>> 80dB LO to RF isolation at 10MHz.
>>

> I've used the ZRPD-1, which claims about 75 dB isolation at 10 MHz.
>

>> Using a passive splitter for the LO drives will gain at least another
>> 30dB in isolation between the 2 RF inputs if you use an appropriate
>> splitter.
>>

> True.
>
> I may have lost the thread here.  If we have one oscillator driving
> everything, one cannot have injection locking even if isolation isn't
> perfect.  What isolation does gain us is a reduction in undesired phase

You have 2 oscillators, the test source and the offset source, however
the >= 10Hz frequency offset between them means that the isolation
requirements are relaxed considerably.
If the offset oscillator is derived from the source then injection
locking doesnt occur.
I made the general comment to ensure that anyone following the thread,
who may be contemplating building a dual mixer setup with 2 sources very
close in frequency doesnt forget about the isolation requirements.

>>> [snip]

>>> Why would non-inverting not work?  Both inputs source or sink bias
>>> currents, and non-inverting presents a very high impedance.
>>>
>> Non inverting amplifiers usually have lower noise and generally work
>>
> very well.
>
>> I was only trying to come up with a preamp circuit for which the
>> comments in the Minicircuits application note on the effect of amplifier
>> input offset voltage made any sense.
>>

> Ah.  It may be hopeless.
>
> My reading was that they were worried about bias currents from the amp
> flowing into the mixer and causing offsets, not amplifier offset voltages
> per se.  The amplifier offset voltage does not cause a mixer offset, and
> may be reduced by use of a chopper amp or very good balance.
>

>> The only risk with a noninverting amplifier, is that under fault
>> conditions (missing supply) a very large current can flow back (with
>> some low noise opamps as Enrico has experienced) into the mixers and
>> destroy them.
>>

> Yes, I recall the discussion on your website.
>

>> For this particular application the mixer preamp gain need only be
>> sufficient to boost the mixer phase detector output (1V pk?, 350mV pk??
>> depends on mixer and its operating conditions) to the sound card input
>> (FSR ~ 5.6V pk for an AP192). The resultant preamp gain is relatively
>> low ( 5 - 15X depending on the mixer etc) and the sound card noise will
>> dominate (~ 100nV/rtHz midband for an AP192) thus using an ultra low
>> noise mixer preamp isn't necessary.
>>

> Yes.
>

>>> We are converging on a soundcard wishlist:
>>>
>>> 1.  True balanced inputs on XLR connectors.  And good ground design,
>>>
> so we
>
>>> aren't bedeviled by ground loops.
>>>
>>> 2.  24-bit ADCs, and similar DACs.
>>>
>>> 3.  Very good isolation all around.
>>>
>>> 4.  Digital access via firewire (or USB3 I suppose), with the
>>>
> soundcard in
>
>>> its own box.
>>>
>>> 5.  High-level input direct to the ADCs.
>>>

>>> While use of AKM ICs may be a very good idea, it is not a requirement
>>>
> per
>
>>> se.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>

>> Optical isolation of the ADC from the noisy digital interface to the PC
>> would also be nice.
>>

> Good point.  Part of ground design I suppose.   Although with noise floor
> of -150 dB down there cannot be so much leakage.
>

>> If we design our own PCB then the AD7760 series ADCs are another
>> possible option.
>> These have a built in differential input differential output amplifier.
>>

> Yes.  But aren't we trying to use commonly available soundcards?

Ideally yes, but they all seem to have built in performance limitations.
AFAIK the AP192 with its 4Vrms full scale balanced inputs with no
variable gain preamps or +48V phantom supplies seems to be one of the
best for this application.
Its major drawback is that its a PCI card located within a noisy PC.
The 4V rms input allows the mixer preamp to use devices like the THAT
1646 to drive the balance sound card inputs without degrading the noise
floor too much.
With a 1V rms full scale the noise floor degradation would be very
obvious when using a THAT1646 (equivalent devices are even noisier).
It may be better to use a mixer preamp with a transformer coupled output
stage using hybrid feedback to achieve a low frequency cutoff below 1Hz
together with low noise.

> sign

> W.Solbrig,

> and

>>> The paper is also worthwhile, and available on the web somewhere
>>>
> (don't
>
>>> recall where, but google found the pdf).  I had to read the patent
>>> multiple times to figure out what's going on.  The correlation
>>>
> approach is
>
>>> old as the hills, and only the digital phase detector was patentable.
>>>

>> It may be feasible to achieve the same effect by purely digital means at
>> least for low sample rates where FIR filters with tens of thousands of
>> taps are feasible.
>>

> It *is* feasible, and Sam Stein is doing it.  I've perhaps lost the thread
> here.

No, I meant replace his 90 degree hybrids with a digital equivalent.
>> Of course 64 bit or higher precision arithmetic is then mandatory to
>> avoid excessive calculation roundoff noise.
>>

> It may be 64 bit *integer*, actually.
>
> My understanding is that the 5120A is built upon a DSP or more likely FPGA
> (of unspecified make and model).  The 5125A will have a top frequency of
> 400 MHz, so the DSP and/or FPGA better be damn fast.  Little analog stuff
> remains.

Although the 5125A appeared in the 2008 product catalog, it isn't on the
website yet.
> Joe

Bruce