[time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger

Joe Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 19:02:24 UTC 2008

Bruce,

At 9:50 PM +0000 12/19/08, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:

>Message: 8
>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:50:46 +1300
>From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger
>To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>
>Joe
>
>Joe Gwinn wrote:
>>  Bruce,
>>
>>  At 3:54 AM +0000 12/19/08, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
>>
>>>  Message: 6
>>>  Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:54:12 +1300
>>>  From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
>>>  Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger
>>>  To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
>  >>	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>>>
>[snip]
>  >> I'll breadboard an oscillator over the holidays and take some samples.
>>>

>>  A rainy-day activity for sure.   In the Boston area, the issue is
>>  snow - a noreaster is just now starting, with a foot of snow expected.
>>
>>  Joe
>>

>AFAIK it has never snowed here.

So it instead rains heavily?

>It does snow on the central NI Plateau but not usually in December.

Well, I've just dug out of 1.5 feet of snow already, and it continues
to snow.  The threat is that later we will get rain, and then it will
all freeze into solid ice.  This in the Boston area.

>I'll start with a diode limited (soft clamps - resistance in series with
>diodes) oscillator and move to a lower distortion one if necessary.

What distortion level do we need?  Given that the parts cost nothing,
I'd be tempted into some overkill.

Joe