[time-nuts] New topics (was Re: He is a Time-Nut Troublemaker....)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 24 01:33:01 UTC 2008

Hej Bruce,

> Hej Magnus
>
> Thats true, but I had the more general case in mind wherein which one
> adds coarse fixed delay increments as required and merely uses the
> variable gain mixer to make a fine adjustment to the phase.

How do you intend that to work? Slightly introduce the signal with a
different but nearby phase?

> No real need for sine and cosine weighting for small phase adjustments
> as the effect on the amplitude will be small and phase noise measurement
> systems are usually relatively insensitive to AM.

Certainly, but various delay-adjustments will provide different output
levels, which can be handled in a sub-sequent scaling or by weighing the
signal of different levels.

To achieve an arbitrary (0-360 degree) phase-shift with such a system
may be a viable question. Running a set of cables and a programable
multiplexer of some sort would be possible.

Well, that was not what was asked for originally, and also not apparent
from your original comment. Surely you can achieve better performance
than this quad-phase circuit provides, but since it was not described
what type of circuit you intended it never became clear what you meant.

The original question infact was for a system where you do not use fixed
delays such as cables.

Cheers,
Magnus