[time-nuts] New topics (was Re: He is a Time-Nut Troublemaker....)

Max Robinson max at maxsmusicplace.com
Wed Dec 24 23:23:22 UTC 2008

>>2.  Several measurement techniques require a given phase relationship
>>(e.g., quadrature) between DUT and reference.  For HF frequencies (ie, 5
>>or 10 MHz) is there a *practical* phase shifter design covering 180+
>>degrees that doesn't involve switching various lengths of coax in and
>>out of the line?

There was a Hewlett Packard generator called a two phase oscillator or maybe
it was two phase function generator.  I forget the model number and don't
have any way to look it up.   It featured two outputs and a dial calibrated
from 0 to 359 that would adjust the phase of one output with respect to the
other.   Behind the panel was a little box which I didn't try to open but
the manual revealed it to have 3 coils, two at right angles to each other
and the third one on the shaft.  It operated at 5 MHz.  If memory serves
correctly, they called it a variable phase transformer.

Regards.

Max.  K 4 O D S.

Email: max at maxsmusicplace.com

Transistor site http://www.funwithtransistors.net