[time-nuts] Sub Pico Second Phase logger

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Dec 27 03:15:21 UTC 2008

Pete

Another very useful thing to do is to measure the output noise spectrum
at the of mixer port both with capacitive termination and with a diplexer.
You can do this with your PC sound card system (even the motherboard
one) and a low noise preamp.
If you want a simple low noise preamp circuit I can supply several.
The gain required depends on the sound card depends on the sound cards
internal noise level.
One way is to drive the RF and LO ports with quadrature phase signals
and measure the IF spectrum.
Another is to just drive the LO port and look at the IF port spectrum.
Try both with the Rf port open circuit and terminated in 50 ohms.
Once you've obtained spectra posting them would be useful and informative.

Bruce