[time-nuts] Leap-second happens when...??

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Dec 28 00:56:54 UTC 2008

In message: <4955F456.8000800 at rubidium.dyndns.org>
            Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> writes:
: Michael Baker skrev:
: > Hello, Time-Nutters--
: >
: > I must have missed something...  I have known about
: > the coming leap-second for months, but have not heard
: > when it was going to be inserted.
: >
: > When will the leap-second take place?
:
: A leap-second can be inserted or removed at the end of the last minute
: of a month in UTC.
:
: Normal transition:
: 23:59:58
: 23:59:59
: 00:00:00
:
: Adding a leap second:
: 23:59:58
: 23:59:59
: 23:59:60
: 00:00:00
:
: Removing a leap second:
: 23:59:58
: 00:00:00
:
: The first preference on which month to insert them is first to the June
: and December.
:
: The second preference is on Mars and September.

I assume you mean 'May' here.  The standard additionally allows for
leap seconds at the end of any month.  However, there's a lot of
software out there that will be dodgy for the Secondary times, and not
work at all for the others.

: You naturally need to convert to your local time zone to get a little
: more aid on when it happens, but for Florida it will occur at 18:00
: (UTC-6h) on Wednesday where as for me it will occur at 1:00 (UTC+1h) on
: Thursday.
:
: > Will it hurt?
:
: No.
:
: > Am I going to need a band-aid?
:
: No.
:
: > Or just another rum-laced egg-nog...??
:
: Yes. Sounds like a good idea. But don't drink it all during the
: leap-second, that would be a waste of perfectly good egg-nog.
:
: Cheers,
: Magnus
: