[time-nuts] CBT EOL

Dave Carlson dgcarlson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 4 10:18:19 EST 2008

Hello,

Speaking not from a physicist perspective, but from being in the business
for over 20 years...

The mechanism depends somewhat on the amount of flux that has been traveling
through the CBT, which determines if the cesium becomes exhausted before the
electron multiplier first dynoe "wears out".

In general with the HP/Agilent/Symmetricom CBT there is enough getter
material inside to trap contaminants well beyond the time that the cesium
should run out in the oven. As long as the Ion Pump is working, internal
contamination should be the minimal contributor to EOL.

Whether the cesium runs out or the Electron Multiplier first dynode loses
its coating is largely dependent on the amount of flux. The High-Performance
CBT run at a hotter oven temperature to gain better S/N and thereby exhaust
the available cesium at a faster rate. In these CBT the EOL mechanism is
more likely due to that. As the cesium runs out the S/N degrades. Increasing
the EM voltage can help, but eventually you're amplifying more and more
noise.

In the standard-performance or long-life CBT the EOL mechanism is more
likely due to the first dynode of the EM becoming depleted of its coating,
than buildup of internal contaminants.

Dave