[time-nuts] GPS PRN vs SV...??

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 9 02:01:03 EST 2008

From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS PRN vs SV...??
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:36:11 +1300

> Michael Baker wrote:
> > Hello, All--
> >
> >   "Tom Van Baak" <tvb at LeapSecond.com>
> > asked:
> >
> >> Which time-nut will be the first to see PRN 32 on Feb 19?
> >> I wonder what old GPS receivers won't be able to see it?
> >>
> > ---------------------
> >
> > So-- Is "PRN" the same as "SV" as given for each
> > GPS bird being tracked by my Trimble T-Bolt?
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Mike Baker
> > Micanopy, FL
> >
> Correction:
>
> On checking the Thunderbolt documentation there are no messages
> containing any SV identifier other than its PRN#.

Then you haven't found the Ephemeris Report Packet 0x58 type 6 where Byte 4 is
the SV number. The text is fuzzy, but if you consider that Byte 2 in the
common header to all 0x58 replies contains the PRN number, it is more likely to
be a documentation miss than anything.

It would be a simple matter to verify this by simply requesting this message
for all PRNs and then check byte 4.

Cheers,
Magnus