[time-nuts] Odetics 325 - 865

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 04:48:03 EST 2008

Hi Roy,
  The receiver you have is the one requiring a down converter antenna. You should see a 10MHz signal on the antenna, but it's low level. Make sure the 'scope is on AC coupling or the 12V DC supply will swamp the 10MHz. The part numer on my receiver is 330-102. the 2 is hand written so could be a build number. If you don't see the 10MHz signal it's possible that someone has put another GPS RX in the box but I doubt it. The Odetics RX is two boards and does not have any L-Band of UHF components at the input, fairly obviously a down converter type.
  These units had a range of oscillator options, one of mine has a Rubidium, the other an OXCO with no obvious makers mark.
  The lock-out is not something I've seen. The simplest solution is to remove the back-up battery and leave the unit for a while for the CMOS memory to clear. The only setting you might want to take note of is the ADC value for the oscillator tuning.
  You can use the unit to compare it's oscillator with an external 1PPS but I don't think you can get it to discipline from the external signal. As far as I recall the information about this aspect is unclear. Did you pick the unit up at Longleat a few years ago?
  Shame about the Wavetek unit. Sometimes the PSU's are standard types and you can get an alternative from another manufacturer.
  Regards,
  Robert.

  Robert

Thank you for your information. First of all I am located in West Sussex -
not so far from you ! This is not a good location for Radio signals
generally. Back to the 325-865, I have checked the antenna socket and it is
giving a 12 volt output - but my 'scope fails to see any sine wave output !!
The actual label on the receiver states : ODETICS GPStar Receiver Model
330-10Q Rev N/C, is this in keeping with your comments on the antenna
requirements ? It also has a Vectron Model 247-8566 Oscillator - - is this
the basic standard ?
Rob has kindly supplied me with a copy of the Model 425 which I understand
is very similar - despite wading through it I cannot find the way to clear
the *FRONT PANEL LOCKOUT* this occurs when I attempt to initiate "cold
start".Any ideas on this problem.
On the "Built in test" readout, all but the SnstOpr return a NRM (?normal),
but SnstOpr is FLT -what is this about?
As for SMPS - what a curse these things can be - I found a Wavetek 395
Function Generator (currently sells S/H for US $3500), which has a
failed(blown up) SMPS - and to date I have not been able to get info from
the Taiwan manufacturers (burnt out resistors, blown up power transistor). I
have connected external power to it - and it works! - I am tempted to build
a linear PSU if I cannot repair the SMPS.!!
Look forward to hearing more from you
Thanks and best wishes

Roy