[time-nuts] Aging rate of crystals

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:27:21 EST 2008

Apart from the humidity theory...
20 years ago I did a masters in material science. One of the major
sections of this field is the study of what was then composite materials
or now amorphous materials. These are defined as materials having an
observable glass transition temperature. The glass transition is a
secondary physical  transition and can be observed as a discontinuity
in the rate of change any one of a number of physical properties as
temperature is changed.
Primary transitions are phenomena like melting and crystalisation.
These materials are often described as visco-elastic,  when stretched
and released they partly recover and then slowly creep back to the
original state at a very slow rate.
Convolved with the visco-elasticity is a process
called physical ageing, where physical properties change with time.
The rate of ageing can be very sensitive to other parameters, moisture
absorbing polymers, like nylon and keratin, can change their rate of
physical ageing over 10 decades of time depending on their moisture
content.
Now crystaline materials, quartz, ceramics, most metals do not have
glass transition temperatures in our set of conditions. But most
plastics,
  tin/lead alloys are amorphous materials and so would have properties
that would change on the timescale of oscillator drift when the
temperature is changed.
So may be that is where our oscillator drift comes from.
And it is possible that a zero moisture content might slow it down
considerably, that is shift the rate of physical ageing.
I was almost starting to forget all that stuff, I have had no
application
for it for such a long time.
cheers, Neville Michie