[time-nuts] spectracom line taps

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Feb 18 15:13:02 EST 2008

jshank said the following on 02/18/2008 03:05 PM:
> Jamie,
>
> If you have the Spectracom 8140 you need to use the line taps.  With out
> using the line taps you sinewave will not be symmetrically along 0 voltage,
> that is the sine wave will all be positive voltage.

I'm not certain about that; while I haven't used an 8140 amplifier, I
have an 8164 WWVB disciplined oscillator that has an option installed to
allow it to run a string of 8140T taps.  I was able to use those outputs
directly by using a series cap to isolate the DC voltage; what's left is
the 10 MHz sine wave.  As I noted in my other post, it does want to see
a 50 ohm load (after the isolating cap) or the fault indicator may go
on.  I suspect the 8140 amp is very similar; Spectracom did a lot of
design reuse across their products.

John