[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Robert Vassar rvassar at rob-vassar.com
Tue Feb 19 18:36:02 EST 2008

I'll second this.  I'm kind of fond of the MCS-51 family for 8 bit
applications.  They're really nothing special, old school stuff, but
they have something like 40% of the embedded market, and once you
learn their quirks, it just kind of sticks.  Multi-source, and lots
of variants.  There's a free embeddable BASIC interpreter on the net,
SDCC C compiler, and almost 30 years worth of tools & code for it
kicking around the net.

The SiLabs mixed analog family is really amazing.  They depart for
several '51 family norms, but overall seem worth the trouble.  I like
the Atmel derivatives.  More info & resources over at www.8052.com

I regard PIC chips as something to be avoided.  Horrible little
architecture that should have died back in the 70's.  It gained a
foothold with hobbyists due to the ease with which they can be
programmed.  The modern '51's are just as easy, and in some cases
easier.  Some of them ship with bootloader that can be activated on
reset, and programmed using the onboard serial port.  Last I checked,
even the AVR's are missing out on that, though they're relatively
easy to program as well, and have an arch better suited to C.

de KC6OOM/5