[time-nuts] Irradiated crystals

Murray Greenman murray at rakon.co.nz
Tue Feb 19 19:26:15 EST 2008

I understand that some crystals are still irradiated. The French
division of the company I work for makes space-qualified crystals, and
from what I have been told these are irradiated to reduce (or shall we
say speed up?) the aging. Apparently they take a visit to the local
hospital and use their Cobalt source.

It takes a year to make these space oscillators, what will all the
careful testing and then ageing. I would imagine one of the reasons for
the limited use of the gamma ray technique is cost.

Murray Greenman ZL1BPU