[time-nuts] Irradiated crystals

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Feb 19 20:41:21 EST 2008

This is probably done for the same reason space electronics is rad-hardened
by prior irradiation of the semi-conductor material before chips are difused
on the crystal. You normally would gain nothing by doing that for earth
bound equipment, unless you are in the military.

I think it only speeds up the type of aging caused by irradiation, and has
no effect on other causes of aging.

Radiation hardening makes equipment less susceptible to further damage by
low level, long term exposure to radiation, like space equipment is
subjected to. There is no benefit to commercial, earth based equipment, so
no reason to do it.

Didier KO4BB

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:47 PM