[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 20 06:16:25 EST 2008

In message <200802200605.47218.bob.paddock at gmail.com>, Bob Paddock writes:

>The PIC gained a foothold due to Motorola, not Hobbyists.
>At the time most embedded designs were moving to the 6805 family
>for the low end (small pin count) chips.

Any single simple sounding explanation for a complex phenomena is
more likely to be wrong than correct :-)

There are many reasons why PIC's are popular, from being virtually
indestructible to rampaging piracy of cable/sat-TV cards over
sheer idiocy on the parts of various other chip producers.

And don't forget quality of documentation here, the easier the
documentation is to understand the more mindshare a chip gets.  My
postboy for this theory is the abysmall Z-8000 which everybody
talked up a storm.

I like the fact that there are many and varied microcontrollers
available, and if anybody want to join me on one of my next
projects, you will be more than welcome:

An ADuC7020 (ARM, 1msps ADC) based LORAN-C frequency (and possibly
phase) receiver.

Poul-Henning