[time-nuts] Best OS for small time server

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Thu Feb 21 19:49:55 EST 2008

Atime implementation on Linux (and I suspect maybe other *nix as well) was,
well, bad, maybe still is. Even if files are in the cache, the OS will
update atime on the disk.

There were talks of fixing that on Linux a while back, I am not sure if it
has been done. I lost track.

In the mean time, -o noatime is a nice option when available, I suspect it
will improve performance even on systems with fast hard drives. Setting
noatime requires a reboot (or a remount).

Didier KO4BB

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
AM