[time-nuts] Best OS for small time server

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Fri Feb 22 03:55:31 EST 2008

Hi Rob

> I live in Texas, so I have something more than a passing familiarity
> with oppressive heat.  In essence, every watt imported into my den
> has to be forcibly removed 9 months of the year, if not more.
Yup - sounds like here, probably just shifted by six months.

> ...  I picked up a
> Linksys NSLU2 network storage widget and hacked into it.  It runs a
> minimal Linux system on a very low power ARM processor, and uses USB
> attach disk storage.
Hmm - interesting.  I know of these 'slugs' being used as the heart of
1-Wire (R) weather systems.  Think there is a way of fitting a serial
port, with a little hardware hacking, but will have to check on that.

> ...But I thought you'd fine the
> flash disk results interesting.
And was my concern, but the atime thing mentioned in other posts may be
a way around it.

> Beyond this, Dave Mills, the author of NTP has a great paper on high
> resolution timekeeping in Unix kernels.  It's a bit dated, circa
> 1994, but it might be worth a read.
I thank you - I'll have a look at this.

Cheers

Matthew Smith