[time-nuts] Slightly off-topic: How to take measurements at fixed intervals in Perl

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Feb 23 18:52:59 EST 2008

I've struggled for a while to figure out how to take readings at fixed
intervals from my counters and other GPIB gear.  The problem is that the
time it requires to trigger and receive a measurement is non-zero and
can vary from measurement to measurement.  Trying to calibrate a proper
delay is an exercise in frustration, and any errors mount over long
experiments.

I searched the web and found bits indicating that a fixed timer could be
done using an "alarm" signal, but no single place provided a useful (to
me, anyway) example, and all the info I found seemed aimed at different
applications.

I finally figured it out, and the details are at
http://www.febo.com/pages/perl-alarm-code/index.html if this might be of
interest to any of you.

John