[time-nuts] Transmitting a time sync signal - what's the trick?

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Wed Feb 27 04:21:02 EST 2008

Quoth Hal Murray at 2008-02-27 17:03...

> It's simple after you see it.

Now you've explained it, yes it is :-)

> You can get a good estimate of the 1-way delay by polling a typical remote
> box and dividing the response time by two.  (Correct for packet lengths if
> that matters.)

I could even integrate that into the system - at least for the 2-way nodes.

> Check the numbers. or try it.  If the PC is mostly lightly loaded you may not
> need any real-time stuff.  Just let the scheduler do its thing.  It may screw
> up at 3AM when some cron job does a lot of disk activity.  Who cares.

I'll probably stick with the microcontroller as I don't think I'll have
a PC involved at all when I'm testing the RF link.

Many thanks for helping to get this through my thick skull!  It seems so
simple now...

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/