[time-nuts] FW: sync computer clock ticks

David Moisan dmoisan at davidmoisan.org
Fri Jan 4 12:13:23 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: David Moisan
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 11:43 AM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
Subject: RE: [time-nuts] sync computer clock ticks

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On Behalf Of John Ackermann N8UR
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 9:17 AM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement

>Challenges may be (a) in the Windows world, earlier versions (prior to
>some SP level of XP) have inherent limitations on timekeeping accuracy,

I have considerable experience with Windows networks.  Windows 2000 time clients are the worst, XP is better and Server 2003 best of all.  Vista and Windows 2008 are based on the 2003 code.  My workplace is a public access TV station and our biggest challenge is getting consistent time without being able to pay for nice things like IRIG displays or GPS clocks.  It doesn't help that our master controller is Windows 2000 based with a flaky CMOS clock that was caused by renovations in the room it was installed in.

Symmetricom has a app for Windows networks, LMCheck, that can check for variance.
http://dtdocs.ntp-systems.com/software/domaintime/instructions/tools/lmcheck.asp