[time-nuts] 35601A as stand-in for 11848A ?

BriMDavis at aol.com BriMDavis at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 22:28:01 EST 2008

Has anyone ever looked into the feasibility
of using a 35601a as a stand-in for the 11848a
in a 3048a phase noise system?

I've been attempting to piece together a 3048a for
low budget 'home project' use to do some two source
quadrature lock measurements.

The 35601a's are much cheaper as surplus, and at the
block diagram level appear similar, but without the
extra internal sources on the oscillator deck.

I presently have the service manual for the 11848a,
but not yet the 35601a, to see whether it has all the
necessary signal paths for the 3048a calibration and
quadrature lock process.

If similar enough, I was considering an attempt
at hacking up the 35601a HPIB interface to make it
appear to be an 11848a ( hoping that the evolutionary
path from 3047a -> 3048a left the two quite similar ).

Brian