[time-nuts] NLTL comb generators going away...

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Jan 4 22:51:42 EST 2008

Following up an earlier post:

> It appears that the 11729's 640-MHz PA can drive the 7123
> adequately, although the 12.16 GHz comb line is somewhat close to
> the spec limit of -20 dBm.  The 7113-110 is a better replacement
> for the 33004A in the 11729C, since it would actually be
> operating in spec.  They have several of those in stock (I just
> ordered 2 of the 8 they had left).

... and it turns out that their conversion efficiency when driven by the
11729C's 640 MHz PA is actually lower than the 7123's was.

So, contrary to what I posted earlier, it's necessary to modify the driver
for higher power output to use the NLTL multipliers that are still
available.  The 7103 looks like the best candidate, using a 3-dB pad at the
input, but I'm not sure if they have any of those left.

-- john, KE5FX