[time-nuts] Spec An for phase noise measurements

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jan 21 16:23:40 EST 2008

> > Take an hour and look through this HP app note (large file, but
> only about
> > 50 pages):
> > http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/gpib/5952-8286E.pdf
> >
> > It is not all that specific to the 11729B/C despite making frequent
> > references to it.
>
> Makes sense now.  One problem -- the 8596E only goes down to 9kHz, at
> least according to the specs.

Yeah, Grant's got a point there.  It will probably tune lower than that, but
will be limited by its narrowest RBW filter selection.

There are a couple of ways to tackle that, ranging from the exotic (run the
600-ohm output from the 11729B/C into a sound card and FFT it) to the easy
(buy an 8568A/B, which will work great down to 100 Hz.)

I actually have an 11848A on the way, and a 3561A FFT analyzer waiting for
the time to support it in PN.EXE, but that's getting kind of pathological
even for the time-nuts list. :)

-- john, KE5FX