[time-nuts] indoor GPS test.

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:55:53 EST 2008

I am no expert on the relative merits of GPS units but I needed PPS
signals
so I bought a Garmin GPS 17. It came from an on-line retailer who seemed
to discount and would deal with someone on the other side of the
Pacific. (Sydney)
About $100.
The device is an antenna and receiver in a mast head package, with a
few yards of
multi-core flexible cable coming out of it. It is a white mushroom 3
inches in diameter.
It takes 8 to 40 volts DC to power it. it has 1 PPS directly out of
it, and if you like to wire a
serial plug onto some of the wires you can plug it into a PC and
download a
small program from the manufacturer which will give you access to
various
GPS type functions and options in the unit.
As it comes it will deliver 1 PPS signals which is all I ever needed.
It has been
giving a nudge to my HP10811 oscillator. Indoors, next to a window which
sees a bit of the sky, it gives the 1PPS signal about 50% of the
time, which
is quite enough to keep me on time.

cheers, Neville Michie