[time-nuts] HP5342A GPIB programming

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Jan 30 20:33:51 EST 2008

Matt Ettus said the following on 01/30/2008 08:25 PM:
> I have an HP5342A with GPIB, and am having trouble getting a reading
> out of the GPIB interface.  It seems to work ok, and when I send it
> commands with talk.exe from the KE5FX GPIB tools, it responds to the
> command.  But any time I query it, it just sits there and times out,
> although the front panel indicates something is happening.  In the
> manual, it talks about sending an HP BASIC command to trigger a
> measurement, but I don't know how to do that with the command line
> tools.

Hi Matt --

I don't know the 5342A, but most of the HP counters use a fairly
straightforward sequence of send command for reading, delay a few
hundred microseconds, then issue a read command.  Some have various
triggering options, but the most straightforward is usually to just have
it reply to a request.

If you want, I can send you a couple of examples (not necessarily good
ones!) of perl scripts using the LinuxGPIB driver and library.

John