[time-nuts] TBolt UK import

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 11:18:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 02/07/2008 15:53:10 GMT Daylight Time, pvince at theiet.org
writes:
I understand that items with a declared
value of less than 100  pounds will be passed through by UK customs.
However above that, VAT (at our  standard rate of 17.5%) is added, as
well as import duties (if applicable)  at about 5% (depending on the
item).  Carriers will then usually charge  a fee for sorting out all
the customs paperwork.  I have had charges as  low as 5 pounds from
FedEx, and 8 to 12 pounds from Royal Mail ParcelForce
------------------------------
Hi Peter

Unfortunately the VAT threshold is much lower than £100.

Quote  from HMRC web site.....
---------------------------------
If you purchase goods through the  Internet you should be aware that customs
duty and VAT will be payable, as  follows:
Customs Duty - if the amount of duty is £7 and over
Import VAT -  if the value of the goods is £18 and over
---------------------------------

On top of that the standard ParcelForce admin charge is £8, increased from
£5 a year or so ago.

Assuming that the parcel value is correctly quoted it seems to  be a question
of luck as to whether or not you get charged.
I still get packages through with no charge on them, sometimes of  quite high
value, but I was told by ParcelForce a few years ago that, even then,  the
number of Customs agents employed at the main ParcelForce sorting centre had
increased hugely after the international success of Ebay and other internet
sales.

For relatively low cost purchases from the US say, that might  only just
cross the £18 threshold, it's not unusual to receive  a small VAT charge but still
with the £8 admin fee...ouch!!