[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Controllers

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 02:59:14 EDT 2008

On the topic of minimum hardware to use a TBolt,
I am interested in observing clock pendulums.
WWV is a long way from Australia and only available with good
propagation.
A GPS receiver will give accurate seconds signals, even if there is
some jitter,
however it is not easy to identify which second. In the course of a
year it is quite
believable that a counter may gain or lose one count, what with
lightning strikes etc.
Minute markers would be sufficient,  any clock that can not tell you
which minute
in the year it is, is not worth observing.
The GPS may drop out, so a disciplined oscillator is in order, but
how can you get
the GPS signals parsed to identify say minute markers without running
a computer?
All I need is  black box which gives seconds pulses and a beep every
minute.
With a small 4 channel data logger I can then record a clock for a
year and its
relationship to UTC, temperature and barometric pressure. I would
only need
a battery backup power supply for the TBolt.
cheers, Neville Michie