[time-nuts] Thunderbolt - temperature

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 19:59:52 EDT 2008

You can see a picture of the "red box" unit in the Thunderbolt data sheet:
http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-10015/

I got mine off of Ebay.  It has a builit in telecom style power supply that takes from 32-72 volts.  It came with a input power cable that "or"ed two input supplies together with diodes.

An earlier comment implied that the red box units had the crappy oscillator.  Mine seems to be the best of the three that I have...  definitely an OCXO.

As far as the spikes in the temperature data,  they occur instantly.  One second the curve is curving gently.  The next second it has spiked 50-100  millidegrees.   I doubt that any CPU heat could reach and effect the temperature sensor that quickly.  I am plotting satellite constellation changes along with other parameters... spikes seem uncorrelated with anything.