[time-nuts] Double ovened 10811-60158 on ebay

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jul 12 05:05:32 EDT 2008

From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Double ovened 10811-60158 on ebay
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:58:15 -0700

> Well, the good news is (if you buy one of these) is that the worst
> that can happen is that you unwrap all that 2nd oven junk and
> you are left with a 10811 for $50.

My thought exactly.

> I remember when they were designing that double oven 10811.  There are so
> many things wrong with the design that I wouldn't know where to start.
> Besides, do you really need more thermal gain for an oscillator
> in a benign environment?

Please, let me just grab a cup of coffie, and off you can go...

I keep wondering if not a passive oven (metal box, insulation, metal box)
would be sufficient. Worst case temperature change rates would be significantly
reduced such that the oven loop can track it better. The remaining temperature
shift will be less. Basically acts like a lowpass filter.

What strikes me is the lack of isolation between the oven shells. Oh yes, they
have tried to bring the heating around the outer shell, but never the less.

Well, at least they did not put a fan in that (Z3801A) box.

Cheers,
Magnus