[time-nuts] Thunderbolt - temperature

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 07:06:33 EDT 2008

I suspect that the fluctuation is some sort of noise or software glitch (but one of my systems is powered by a very nice linear supply so probably not power related).

What is strange is the decay.  If it was a noise glitch,  one would expect it to last one sample.  But, it decays back to the original curve over 30 seconds or so.  I suspect that there is some kind of filtering of the A/D going on,  but  one would expect a filter with a 30 second time constant to smooth out the rising edge also.

Perhaps it is seeing a very large glitch,  which gets filtered down to a smaller instantaneous transient response.  That then gets filtered out over the next 30 seconds.

I saw a couple more of the spikes last night...  no apparent correlation with any of the other parameters.  Also no disturbances in any of the other values.

Are the apparent rapid temperature fluctuations observed by some real or
are they the result of inadvertent detection of an intermittent burst of
EMI from a switching supply?