[time-nuts] Old Loran

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jul 13 04:43:02 EDT 2008

I found this interesting.  It's a chunk of the memoirs of a Coast Guard
Captain who was in charge of Loran in Japan from 1961-1964.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/WEBORALHISTORY/CAPT_David_Sinclair_29.html

It's half Coast Guard history/nostalgia, half his memories of Japan, and a
little bit of Loran.  But I thought that little bit was neat.

How good were crystals back in WW II time frame?

Does anybody know anything about early Loran?  I'm guessing that the
secondary stations listened to the primary and sent their pulse X
microseconds after they heard a pulse.  How did they implement that delay?
What sort of filter/PLL did they have on receiving the primary station?

What is current Loran navigation accuracy?  What was it like in the old days?