[time-nuts] Thunderbolt temperature spikes

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:34:19 EDT 2008

The nature of the spikes are that they show an instantaneous impulse 100mV rise in the temperature readings between  two 1 second samples.  The rise exists for one sample then decays over around 20 seconds.   There is no way that any CPU (or bus) activity can generate a heat pulse that would propogate to the temperature sensor in such a manner... there is just too much thermal mass/spacing involved.

Also the spikes appear to occur randomly and are not correlated with any specific CPU activity.  I have seen two spikes with five minutes.  I  have also seen 8 hours go by without any spikes.  I think they are related to some glitch in the temperature sensor system...  my bet is something in the firmware rather than the hardware.  The way the pulse decays looks a whole lot like there is some software filtering of the readings going on.