[time-nuts] 5061A and Zeeman freq question

Predrag Dukic stijena at tapko.de
Sat Jul 19 11:14:02 EDT 2008

Bill,

  I am not a quantum physicist, but my understanding of Zeeman
splitting is a bit different.

With applied homogenous DC  magnetic field to the atoms on their path
You get splitting. Without it You have no Ramsey fringes.

There is a formula to calculate mid-fringe offset from defined cesium
resonance knowing splitting frequency.

So You should always be able to tell the right frequency from the
splitting frequency, and that has nothing to do with definition of
the cesium as primary standard.

The correct field strength and correct splitting frequency, by my
opinion have some importance to other parameters; stability, mid
fringe width etc,

while resonance frequency  is tied to split frequency by an exact
mathematical equation.

All of this under assumption that the field is homogenous. If not,
than You have some other problems.

Predrag Dukic