[time-nuts] Zeeman freq question

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 19 23:34:41 EDT 2008

8.1E-14...  egad, that's almost 1e-13.   We're time nuts...  we demand perfection from our imperfect instruments... or at least the illusion/delusion of perfection.

My FTS-4060M seems to be drifting from GPS by a fairly consistent 20 ns per day (2.3E-13) (not too shabby for a $600 woogedy old unit that can't admit that it is locked).  I have not adjusted the c-field yet so I don't know what, if any, improvement can be coaxed out of it.  It would be nice to give it the benefit of as precise a Zeeman freq as possible with today's (well, actually yesterweek's) technology (I can generate 48.xxx KHz to within around a microhertz).

a 10 Hz Zeeman difference at 42.82 kHz makes only a
0.000745 Hz difference out of 9192631770 Hz, or 8.1e-14.
Given that these old standards are only spec'd parts in ten
to the 11th to maybe 12th in accuracy the 10 Hz margin for
the Zeeman input would appear more than adequate.