[time-nuts] Thunderbolt SV and AMU Signal levels

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Jul 23 02:48:52 EDT 2008

Gents,

just in order to prevent anybody into believing that

> Variation of +/- one count in the last digit is normal for
> any counter.  It
> is caused by a slight shift between the counter gate and the
> input signal.
> The longer the time between digit changes, the more stable
> the phase between
> the unknown and the counter gate.

were some kind of universal truth: This resembles the counter technology
of some 30-40 years ago and you will not find any counter model of any
serious manufacturer that uses "gate times" (if this term should be
allowed at all today) which are uncorrelated to the input signal.

I am well aware of the fact that the existence of easy programmable
microcontrollers and cheap high frequency dividers have encouraged
zillions of amateur developers to publish mcu based "frequency counters"
that work the way as described above. Nevertheless this is by far not of
the technology of today.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert