[time-nuts] Grounding a Z3801A

d.seiter at comcast.net d.seiter at comcast.net
Sun Jul 27 04:54:11 EDT 2008

I'm finally getting around to reinstalling my Z3801A after frying and then fixing the on-board power supply, but I'm really paranoid about doing it again (I had forgotten that the unit has a positive ground).  The external supply had floating outputs, the AC input was grounded to the chassis and the case of the Z3801A was grounded.  I also realized that the external clock display board was grounded to both the chassis and the internal ground of the Z3801A, which is probably where the short came from.

In this next attempt, the external PS AC input ground will be eliminated and it's case will be isolated from the chassis.  The Z3801A will also be isolated from the chassis, as will the display assembly.  That leaves the RS232 cable, which is grounded as it passes through the front of the chassis, and the signal outputs.

Should I isolate the rs-232 as well?  What about a double dc block on the output signals? I realize this all sounds a bit extreme...

-Dave.