[time-nuts] PCB design questions

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Jun 2 17:11:06 EDT 2008

HI Dave,

for quick and inexpensive one-off designs, you may try a "one-layer"  PCB.

Basically mounting all the parts onto an FR4 clad with Copper on one or two
sides (BTW: 5-layer boards don't exist as far as I know).

Use SMD parts, and bend-up the ground pins. Then solder these parts
backwards onto the Copper plane, with all pins connected to ground directly  soldered
onto the plane.

Use 0603 caps between the Copper plane and the power pins. Route the traces
with thin wire (for example transformer wire etc), and tape them onto the
Copper  plane, or glue them down.

Place 0603 or 0805 parts onto the bottom of the IC's (which is now the  top
of course since we mounted them backwards), one leg soldered to the IC  pin.

You can cut small local planes with an exacto knife if necessary, for
example to generate heatsinks for regulators, or pads for larger  components etc.

Once debugged, you can use a hot-glue gun to ruggedize everything.

This works extremely well, very good isolation, great grounding and heat
dissipation due to the Copper plane, no degradation due to vias, and it is quite
fast, especially when working under a microscope, and as cheap as it  get's.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 6/2/2008 11:22:31 Pacific Daylight Time,