[time-nuts] GPS receivers and poor sky visibility.....

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Mon Jun 9 21:52:11 EDT 2008

Hello, All--

Jim Robbins reported poor GPS performance because his GPS
antenna has a limited clear view of the sky.

Hmmmmmm....  Jim-- might you have some sort of antenna or
feed line problem?  My house is in the middle of a relatively
small yard in the center of a VERY HEAVILY wooded 6 acre
lot.   My Thunderbolt antenna has an extremely limited
clear view of the open sky and at no direction is it better than
40 degrees above the horizon. My T-bolt typically indicates good
signals from at least 6 or 7 birds with signal levels of
8.0 to over 12.0.  As an experiment, I switched it over to
an antenna INSIDE my house and while the signal levels all
dropped to between 5.0 to 8.0, indicated performance as reported
by T-bolt Mon is still solid.

Mike Baker