[time-nuts] thunderbolt for ntpd or gpsd

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:45:09 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Tim Cwik <timenuts at stnhbr.com> wrote:
> gpsd: TSIP pkt_id = 0x8f, packetlen= 0x15
> gpsd: packet sniff finds type 4
> gpsd: switch_driver(Trimble TSIP) called...
> gpsd: selecting Trimble TSIP driver...
> gpsd: ntpd_link_activate: 0
> gpsd: speed 9600, 8O1

gpsd sees something that looks like TSIP, so it switches to 8O1.

> cgps reports no time, no position, and no fix.
>
> I am using the THunderbolt as it was configured when I bought it.
> I was expecting that gpsd would understand TSIP and the THunderbolt/gpsd
> combination would act like the Garmin/gpsd combination.
>
> Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

You seem to be doing the right things. To see more of what gpsd is
doing try running with -D4.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that your thunderbolt is running
with 8N1 rather than 8O1 as gpsd expects. I haven't come up with a
good way to make gpsd detect parity yet... I have a copernicus on the
way and it apparently uses 8N1 also, whereas my lassen iq does 8O1.

CK