[time-nuts] [Fwd: Re: Thunderbolt PS]

paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 04:53:41 EDT 2008

Bjorn/Bruce - thanks for the useful links and comments so far.

The current demands don't seem to demanding, maybe I'm being to
concerned about nothing here so a simple approach maybe best to start with.

Bruce Griffiths wrote:

> Yes, except that a dc-dc converter can be useful in the event of mains
> failure.

Exactly - I'd like to try to make the psu a single rail 12v input so it
can go on my maintained supply or be used in the field.

It doesn't look like a particularly demanding aplication although I wish
I'd decided years ago to make the battery bank here 24V or even 48V.
Hindsight of course but it would have been far better.

> With an appropriate design and careful filtering supplemented with
> linear post regulation the noise can be very low.
> Flicker noise is likely to be more dependent on the power supply voltage
> reference quality than the type of regulator used.

Yes, although some of the monolithic PSU modules are pretty noise free
if you take care with a little post filtering and pay attention to the
grounding / track layout - in fact I *seem* to get get better noise
performance using dead-bug construction than tracked PWB.

I haven't taken delivery of my Epay thunderbolt yet so I'll probably
wait 'til it shows up in case it's a dud.. but if anyone is vaguely
interested in the outcome I'll post a link to my website when its working.

Regards Paul

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI
http://www.gw8izr.com