[time-nuts] 5370B arrived - any FAQ

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Jun 19 10:27:35 EDT 2008

Because you need something that has a finely variable delay in the
range of 2 to 5ns, a pulse width adjustable from 5 to 50ns, and a minimum
transition time of less than 1ns.  And, it has to be able to drive 50 ohms
to +/-1V.

The 8015A's shortest delay is 20ns, and its minimum pulse width is 10ns, and
its minimum transition is 6ns.

Basically, it isn't even close to being good enough to calibrate a 5370[AB].

Looking through the available pulse generators, I find some have one needed
characteristic, but none of the others.  The 8082A seems to be exactly what
is needed (but just barely).

-Chuck Harris