[time-nuts] HP Z3801A Motorola Oncore VP receive...

vendors at eshop.uoregon.edu vendors at eshop.uoregon.edu
Sun Jun 22 12:52:11 EDT 2008

Mike et al:

The first two Motorola Oncore-VP RX's I bought from that eBay seller were
shipped by TNT courier service, about $30 cost, to my work address with about
a 5 or 6 day delivery time.  The seller provided a tracking number and I was
able to follow the shipment's progress.  It spent about two days hung up for
custom's clearance.  The seller's current eBay Oncore-VP listing uses Hong
Kong's Air Mail Service, presumably handed off to USPS, at a much lower cost
than TNT.  On my second order for the Oncore-VP with this seller he didn't
like my PO Box address that I use for Snail Mail and so I gave him my work
address again.  He also wanted my mobile phone number, but I gave my work
phone number.  I thought it a bit odd that he said that Hong Kong Air Mail
Service didn't like PO boxes...  I don't know why that would be since they
aren't actually delivering it in the US.  Anyway, I've still got two weeks to
go before expecting delivery on the second order.  Oddly, the seller said
to my inquiry about tracking numbers that Hong Kong Air Mail Service does
provide a tracking number -- but I've not been able to get it from the
seller.  So far he has a 100% feedback rating and he sure gave me good
service on the first order.

Further, he has software available for the receivers, but you need to ask
for it per the instructions in his eBay listing.

As always with eBay its "Caveat Emptor."  He does have PP Buyer Protection
so along with his 100% feedback rating I'm not too worried.  I can tell you
that I was greatly relieved when the two receivers fired up FB in my Z3801A!
It did take awhile, even with a position initialization fix, for them to find
the birds, then get current GPS time, etc.

As an FYI, be aware (at least in my Z3801A), that the Z3801A's motherboard
firmware doesn't like dates after Dec 31st, 2007.  So if you try to initialize
the Z3801A with a current date it may complain that its out of range.  Maybe
mine has old firmware and newer units won't complain?  I dunno.  It doesn't
seem to be a problem -- just slows down the initial acquisition...

Note that it doesn't complain about the current date when acquired by GPS
sats -- just the input routine for PC provided dates complains.

--Larry, W7JYJ