[time-nuts] GPS Antenna Cable Splicing

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Sat Mar 1 17:56:51 EST 2008

Quoth Bruce Griffiths at 2008-03-01 23:55...
> GPS distribution amplifiers are readily available, they appear from time
> to time on ebay.
> Symmetricom 58537 4 port active smart splitters can be quite useful.
> HP/Agilent/Symmetricom 58537A, 58536A are also useful.
Think I'll investigate these - have two antennas on the roof, one in
use, the other a redundant spare that I can switch over by swapping a
plug up in the loft.

> The small diameter captive cable used by some GPS antennas tends to be
> somewhat lossy and it may be better to extend the length by using a
> lower loss cable.
Which is what I've got.  I have a part-reel of satellite TV cable, so
will make up an extension with that and see how it behaves.

> Your splicing technique will create a significant discontinuity in the
> cable impedance at 1.57542 GHz.
The joint will now be made indoors so plugs will be used.

Quoth John Franke at 2008-03-02 00:11...
> First; how long does the total length need to be?  With lower loss cables,
> 10m is no problem.
It will probably be 10m if I take the indoor (but more difficult) route.

Thanks for your input, folks!

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/