[time-nuts] Mounting GPS Antenna on Steel Roof

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Thu Mar 6 18:40:40 EST 2008

>> So my Trimble ACE II and Moto Oncore modules will tolerate RS232 levels
>> without conversion?  Are we absolutely sure on this - I don't want to
>> fry anything!

Bruce, Chris, thanks for the confirmation.

I'll go back to the idea of using the MAX232 equivalent as originally
planned.

I'm also putting one of these between the MAX232 and the GPS module:

<http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/iso7231m.html>

(That's for the Oncore; it's got two channels in one direction, one in
the other, making it ideal for TX/RX+PPS.  I'll probably use one of
these with a one-each-way for the Trimbles.)

The GPS module will also be powered via a high-isolation DC-DC
convertor.  I don't consider anything that's going to sit between my
data network and an antenna overkill!

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/