[time-nuts] Mounting GPS Antenna on Steel Roof

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 6 18:56:50 EST 2008

Matthew Smith wrote:
>>> So my Trimble ACE II and Moto Oncore modules will tolerate RS232 levels
>>> without conversion?  Are we absolutely sure on this - I don't want to
>>> fry anything!
>>>

> Bruce, Chris, thanks for the confirmation.
>
> I'll go back to the idea of using the MAX232 equivalent as originally
> planned.
>
> I'm also putting one of these between the MAX232 and the GPS module:
>
> <http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/iso7231m.html>
>
> (That's for the Oncore; it's got two channels in one direction, one in
> the other, making it ideal for TX/RX+PPS.  I'll probably use one of
> these with a one-each-way for the Trimbles.)
>
> The GPS module will also be powered via a high-isolation DC-DC
> convertor.  I don't consider anything that's going to sit between my
> data network and an antenna overkill!
>
> Cheers

Matthew

Using an isolator of some kind is always a good idea to break ground
loops and provide some fault isolation, however they do add some jitter
(probably insignificant for your application).
Such isolators may be inadequate to prevent damage propagation in the
the event of a lightning strike.
Fibre optic isolators using several meters of plastic fibre will be far
more effective in that case.

Bruce