[time-nuts] Mounting GPS Antenna on Steel Roof

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Fri Mar 7 05:04:33 EST 2008

Quoth Hal Murray at 2008-03-07 19:59...
> The normal MAX232 type level shifters include an inverter.
>
> So even if the voltage levels work without a level shifter, the signal will
> be upside down.

I'm building my test board with a hex inverter that I'm actually using
to buffer the 1PPS signal.  I've got spare gates on there so will build
the board with jumpers so that I can invert or not invert (that is the
question ;-))

As I'm working with two different types of GPS module, and may have
others, my development board will have a lot of jumpers so that I can
actually patch together something that works before I build the final
boards - something that I feel necessary as I always seem to get my
TX/RX mixed up!

Just to clarify - I don't tend to use breadboards as they tend to take
longer to debug than making a PCB.  When PCBs are concerned, I tend to
use SMDs wherever possible until such time as I find a way of making
holes that a) doesn't break my drill every other hole and b) actually
lines things up properly.  (A CNC XY drill rig would be really nice -
better buy a lottery ticket.)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/