[time-nuts] GPS-Attached Equipment Lightning Protection

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:25:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Tom Van Baak <tvb at leapsecond.com> wrote:

>  I'd be interested in reports on how well these work for GPS
>  antennas, both in terms of lightning protection and in terms
>  of attenuation, tempco, or phase delay.

Permanent GPS Stations - Surge and Lightning Protection: Coaxial Cable
Protection
<http://facility.unavco.org/project_support/permanent/equipment/lightning/coax.html>
and the (dated) report "Effects of Lightning Electromagnetic Pulse
(LEMP) Protection on GPS Signals"
<http://facility.unavco.org/project_support/permanent/equipment/lightning/lemp_report.html>.

Some mentioned I.C.E. (Industrial Communication Engineers)'s impulse
suppression units, note that their HF and VHF/UHF units are only rated
for up to 200MHz and 1000 MHz respectively, which is less than the L1
frequency of  1575.42 MHz. Their TVRO / DBS unit may work. Polyphaser
make several different GPS specific models.

<http://www.iceradioproducts.com/>
<http://www.polyphaser.com/productdata.aspx?class=gps>