[time-nuts] Rubidium Oscillators

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Mon Mar 10 23:34:15 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:12:46PM -0500, Brian Kirby wrote:
> For maximum stability, the rubidium should be run continuous.
>
> I lost a lamp in a FRK-L last summer.  The unit had been running for 9
> years continuous - and I was the second owner.  It was used at a LORAN
> site previous, I am sure they probably ran it continuous, for the same
> reasons.

	According to various spec docs I have seen, many of the telecom
oriented rubidiums (such as the LPRO and FE series) are designed for
between 15-20 years lamp life continuously on... so running one that way
is not likely to use up available life quickly unless the unit already
has lots and lots and lots of hours on it.   And they aren't absurdly
expensive on Ebay these days - bet a new bulb (if even available) is
almost as much as a  used but working rb off Ebay.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in